Saturday, August 1, 2020

July 31 - August 1, 2020 - New LP Detector for Homer

The LP detector in Homer was not working properly and the best I can tell it was the original one, making it 27 years old. (They are supposed to be changed out every five years.)  Here is a picture of it after I took it out this morning. Of course they don't make this model anymore.


On May 4th I ordered a new one and it finally arrived yesterday. The company said the long delay was because of limited shipments from China due to the Coronavirus. 

The old detector was a flush mount, meaning they cut out a section of the cabinet to install it. The new one I ordered is a flush mount as well. Of course the new detector is not the same size as the old one. It is smaller, which means I had to make something to cover up the larger hole and at the same time provide something for the new detector to mount to.  I cut a piece of thin plywood for this purpose. Here is a picture of it in the vise. The reason it is in the vise is that I cut off one end so I could cut out the opening on the band saw. It is hard to cut a small piece like this with a jig saw. I then had to glue the two pieces back together.


Below is a picture of the new LP detector. I placed it in the mount to make sure it fits before I stain and varnish the mount to match the cabinets in Homer. 


The old LP detector was hardwired with a plug. I cut the plug and wire off it and crimped it on to the wires on the new one. Here is a picture.

 
I installed the new detector this morning.  Here is a picture of it installed under the dining table.


It tests out fine so we should be safe for at least five more years.  One more upgrade to Homer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 6, 2024 - October 11, 2024 - Homer Repair and Florida Hurricanes

  My Blog Reflection We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once. Calvin Coolidge September 6, 2024: The transmission s...