Saturday, August 8, 2020

August 5th-7th - Anniversary Campout at Lake Perry

With Covid-19 we could not go out to eat for our 49th anniversary so we decided to camp at the lake. The weather had cooled off after a long heat wave. Tuesday morning we set up camp in no time. We aren't used to making such a short trip to camp. Here is a picture of Homer all settled in on our lot. You can see all the weeds in the gravel. Before I backed him in I sprayed the whole area with weed killer. It is hard to keep the weeds down because of all the debris that falls from the trees all year long. 


We have great shade on our lot. Here is a picture from a different perspective.

The cedar tree in the foreground is going to get cut down as well as another. Both are mostly dead and need to be removed. Removing them will not decrease our shade.

Sitting around enjoying the day we decided we would like to get a little dirt work done and have more gravel spread on the driveway and parking area. A future project.
  
I was up early on Wednesday and while sitting in the quiet drinking my coffee I took this shot of the lake behind us with the fog lifting. The lake was like glass. 

Alexa and her friend, Aaron, came down for the day Wednesday so we had a nice visit topped off with grilled brats for supper.

I almost always make breakfast when we are camping. Thursday for our anniversary breakfast Kelly requested Corned Beef Hash and eggs. Here is a picture. I think Corned Beef Hash looks like dog food but it tastes good.

We had a nice leisurely day for our anniversary. For dessert after supper I had tapioca which Kelly made before we left home. It is rare to have tapioca because Kelly does not like it and I don't think to make it. It was nice of her to make me some. I enjoyed it sitting around the fire.

Early Friday morning we packed up for home which was only about a thirty minute drive. This had been the first time we camped on our lot in about five years. We enjoyed it and definitely need to use it more often.

Everybody needs a fire poker to keep the fire going at a campout. Years ago I made my first poker out of a piece of rebar and a hand-whittled handle. After using it the last couple of days I decided I needed to "upgrade" it with a better handle so I brought it home to work on it. Here is a picture of it with the original handle.


Here is a close up of the handle. It was pretty crude but it served the purpose for years. I paint the pokers I make so you can see them in the dark. (I learned that the hard way.) This one has been painted red for many years and will stay that color.

Last year Alexa bought me a small lathe so I got busy after we got home and made a new handle for my poker. I say "my" poker because Kelly has her own which I made her some years back and has her named carved in it.  (Some things we don't share well.) Kelly's poker is stored in Marge right now. Here is a picture of the new handle on the poker. It is made of oak and will last a long time.

Everything worked flawlessly in Homer so nothing to repair when we got home. Ready for the next outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 6, 2024 - October 11, 2024 - Homer Repair and Florida Hurricanes

  My Blog Reflection We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once. Calvin Coolidge September 6, 2024: The transmission s...