Tuesday, August 18, 2020

August 15th-17th - Finished Waxing Homer with Help of Scaffold Board

I finished waxing the sides of Homer and moved to "rewaxing" the front cap. I waxed it several weeks ago and have not been happy with it. To apply product I had to lean way over the hood with a ladder on the corner to get as close as I could. This was awkward and did not allow for the best application and removal of wax with my polisher. I needed a scaffold that was wider than the cab so I could get closer to the work surface. I put a ladder on each side of Homer and measured. I needed a twelve foot long board to span the distance. John has a shed being torn down that had a lot of wood in it. I went out and found a 12 foot long 2 x 10 and a 13 foot 2 x 4. I hauled them both home. I placed the 2 x 10 between the two ladders and tried it. It worked but was a little "springy" when I walked on it in the middle. I decided to add a 2 x 4 to each side to stiffen it up. Here are a couple of pictures of what I built.

The platform works great but it is so heavy I just about can't handle it. Lifting it onto one ladder and then sliding into the other is very difficult for this old man. I decided that one side needed a roller so it would slide more easily once in place. On the blue ladder in the first picture you can see the PVC pipe I cut to lay on the rung under the scaffold. It helped but it is still a lot of weight to get up there. Luckily I will only need to use it about one time per year.  I am really happy with the result using the scaffold. Here are a couple of pictures of the shine. Pretty good for a 27 year old rig.


The scaffold will help with the back cap next time as well. A wider board is also easier on the feet than the step ladder rung.

The igniter for the gas stove in Homer isn't working consistently. It is a 27 year old Piezo lighter. I am replacing it with a battery operated one like the ones used in outdoor grills. I ordered one off eBay yesterday and then was notified it would be her by OCTOBER 13TH. Almost a month? Crazy. Good thing I'm not in a hurry for it. Should be an easy install if I measured the available space correctly.









No comments:

Post a Comment

September 6, 2024 - October 11, 2024 - Homer Repair and Florida Hurricanes

  My Blog Reflection We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once. Calvin Coolidge September 6, 2024: The transmission s...