Monday, February 1, 2021

February 1, 2021 - Chair Replacement and a Couple of Repairs

About a week ago I noticed that the material was pulling loose on the seat of my camping chair. We bought this chair two years ago at Camping World and if I remembered right I took out a two year warranty. I checked my receipt and I did but the warranty was due to expire on February 19th so off to Camping World went on Friday. It was an easy return since I had a picture of the receipt on my phone. They didn't have the same chair in stock anymore so I traded for one I liked. Here is a picture.

I predict the new one will fail where the old one did, which is right in front of the front legs where the material is sewn together. That being a big possibility I decided to take out a 3 year warranty for $8.00. Another place I predict failure is the plastic arm rests. They often break at the rivets. It is comfortable so it will get a lot of use down here.

Saturday Kelly pulled the day/night shade down in the bedroom and the string broke. I had new string in my tool box so yesterday I took down the valance and the shade for a repair. The wall paper behind the valance needed a little attention. The first thing I did was carefully pull the wallpaper border off. It is ugly. I had taken it off in the kitchen and the bathroom areas several years ago.  Here are a couple of pictures.



You can see the vinyl wallpaper has pulled loose from the wood. This happens sometimes around windows. The vinyl wallpaper is glued to the wood and due to trailer movement and the different in temperatures between the metal frame and the wood the glue will sometimes fail on the edges.  I re-glued it the best I could without damaging it. It is hidden by the valance so it is no big deal that there are still a couple of wrinkles in it.

I took the shade down and and put it on the picnic table for a repair. Here is a picture with it disassembled and ready to be restrung.


I threaded the new string down both sides and then put it all together. I took it inside to put up and realized that I had installed the metal pieces backwards. I hadn't re-strung one in years so I was a little rusty. I had to take it entirely apart and start over. Lesson learned. Here is a picture of it and the valance back in position and good for another 15 years.


Yesterday I also found some 1 x 4s hanging out of the dumpster that we could use to add a horizontal rail to Chris's porch. We took his golf cart up to the dumpster and I climbed up and retrieved them. A small project in the next couple of days.  It is cold and windy today and going to get colder as the day goes on. We will wait for a nicer day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

September 6, 2024 - October 11, 2024 - Homer Repair and Florida Hurricanes

  My Blog Reflection We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once. Calvin Coolidge September 6, 2024: The transmission s...