Friday, November 13, 2020

November 12, 2020 - Getting Bored - File Handle Project

It is getting colder outside so I need indoor projects because we are basically on Covid lockdown. I was using some files the other day and realized that some of my file handles are VERY crude. Here is a picture of five homemade handles I pulled out of the drawer. 

The one on the left I made from a broken plastic spatula handle. It works and is comfortable to use. The second from the left I made from a broken ice pick. It works ok as well. The other three I guess I picked up over the years. I didn't make them. The one in the middle is just a piece of  5/8 inch dowel. The next is a just a 3/4 x 1/2 inch block of wood. The one on the far right is almost an inch and half in diameter and is just a large piece of a tree branch with the bark still on it. 

I got some wood scraps out of my burn bin and glued some pieces together to make some new file handles on the lathe.  Here are the four I made. 


The one on the left was made out of a piece of treated 2 x 4. The other three are made out of scraps of white oak. I used pieces of cooper tubing to keep the wood from spreading out when the file is driven in. I made a couple of different shapes. Time will tell which shape is the most comfortable. I think they came out pretty nice for just a little effort.  I'll be replacing a few of the homemade ones above.







1 comment:

September 6, 2024 - October 11, 2024 - Homer Repair and Florida Hurricanes

  My Blog Reflection We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once. Calvin Coolidge September 6, 2024: The transmission s...