Monday, November 28, 2022

November 28, 2022 - Dangerous Issue with Marge That Needed to be Repaired Today

Today we loaded all the food in Marge for the trip to Florida tomorrow. While doing so Kelly said she smelled something like glue or nail polish remover. I hadn’t used anything in Marge recently so I couldn’t imagine what it was she was smelling. After all the food was loaded I pulled all the slides in for traveling. I opened the front compartment to get out the folding step which I use to reach the fifth wheel hitch lock in the bed. When I opened the compartment I immediately saw what Kelly was smelling - gasoline.

The generator and fuel tank are in that front compartment. Yesterday I put five gallons of gasoline in the fuel tank and ran the generator for its monthly exercise. There was no gasoline leak. Today gasoline was dripping steadily from the right side of the fuel filter. Tightening the clamp did not help. Here is a picture of the filter after I pinched the hose to stop the gas flow and wiped it all off to see what was up.

I loosened the clamp and pulled off the hose. The hose was cracked. I cut off about an inch of the hose. I tried to put the old filter back on but in doing so the stretching of the hose caused it to crack again. This section of the hose has been in a severe bend for some time. I think that lead to its cracking in conjunction with the fuel filter fitting being larger and stretching the hose more than normal. I checked the rest of the hose and it was good. I couldn’t make it crack anymore. I decided it was a good time to change the filter so I drove to O’Reilly’s Auto Parts and bought a new filter with a smaller diameter fitting and installed it. Here is a picture of the generator running with the new filter and no leak.


I’m really, really, glad this happpened before we left home. Marge is going to be sitting overnight on a couple of motel parking lots on the way down to Avon Park. Leaking gasoline would not have been a good thing!

In the morning I’ll unplug the electric, hook Marge to the truck, and off we will go for another winter adventure!



No comments:

Post a Comment

September 6, 2024 - October 11, 2024 - Homer Repair and Florida Hurricanes

  My Blog Reflection We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once. Calvin Coolidge September 6, 2024: The transmission s...