Sunday, October 20, 2019

October 20th - Generator Fuel Leak and Generator Door Latch Fixes

Applying Permatex gasket sealer to the fuel pump fitting on the generator did not solve the fuel leak problem. My mechanic friend, Danny, felt that there had to be a crack in the fitting on the fuel pump since it just started leaking after all this time and suggested I take the fuel pump off and inspect it closely. I took the fitting off and inspected the female fuel pump connection closely. I couldn't find any crack in it. I then got the idea of getting a new fitting to see how it would screw into the fuel pump. My hope was that a different fitting could have been machined a little different and would tighten up in the position I needed it to. I purchased a new fitting for $4.00 and dry fitted it. It was going to tighten up in the correct position, unlike the old one. I installed it, ran the generator for an hour, and NO LEAK.  Here is a picture of the new fitting installed. Dry as a bone.


The brass fitting in the picture looks identical to the old one but obviously it was machined just a little different allowing me to tighten it in the correct position to connect to the fuel line. The leak was fixed for $4.00. I also slightly adjusted the governor and after putting various loads on the generator it did not surge one time when the load was changed multiple times. I am a HAPPY CAMPER!!!  We don't use the generator that often but when we do we need it work properly.

Another maintenance issue in the generator area was the left generator door latch wasn't locking. I noticed this in Albuquerque but needed to wait to get home to order a new one. Today upon trying to take the lock off to get its size for a new one I noticed that it was working properly, it just wouldn't stay tight. Here is a picture of the other generator door latch that works correctly.


This is a picture of the latch which was loose and not locking.


The black rubber washer was missing on this latch. This caused the latch to not fit tightly and thus not lock. I made a rubber washer and reinstalled the lock. Problem solved at no cost. Here is a picture of the repaired lock.


(I should have cleaned all my fingerprints off the door before taking the picture.)

I winterized Marge yesterday in case we get a long cold snap before we head to Florida in December. Better to be safe than sorry.

I also winterized Homer yesterday and put him back in storage. I pulled out his batteries and have then in the garage on smart chargers. He should be good to go in the spring.













No comments:

Post a Comment

September 6, 2024 - October 11, 2024 - Homer Repair and Florida Hurricanes

  My Blog Reflection We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once. Calvin Coolidge September 6, 2024: The transmission s...