Thursday, July 18, 2019

July 17th - Last Day of This Vacation

We planned on spending our last day of vacation laying around the pool at the RV park but the weather did not cooperate. It rained off and on all day, sometimes pretty hard. Here is a picture from under the awning at one point.

We were still able to enjoy a lazy day just having a few drinks and relaxing while watching the rain. We attended the 8:00 p.m. show "Country Tonite". Kellen got in free and we got in for half price because of the RV park we were staying in. It was a nice show but I'm glad we didn't have to pay full price. It wasn't that good.

We got up early this morning and headed home. We got into Illinois and found that we could not cross the Mississippi where we planned because of flooding. (The GPS helps with traffic backups but not river conditions.) We had to make a fifty mile detour to Carbondale, Illinois, and then across to the bridge at Chester, Illinois. We got home at 5:00 p.m. Our daughter Alexa was here to greet us and help us unload everything in the heat.  

I checked the trip odometer and we drove 7,668 miles and averaged 10.7 miles to the gallon on this trip. I had estimated 6,000 miles. Obviously I was way off.  It was a lot of driving but a great trip.

Several items on the RV now need to be repaired.  The main one is that the off-door slide out is way out of adjustment. It is the largest and heaviest slide out and I can't help but think this is due to the beating that Marge took on the roads in Newfoundland and the East coast. I'll have to take it to an RV repair shop to get adjusted before our next trip.

The other two items that need to be repaired are minor ones that I can easily fix. In fact I already ordered the parts. The first is the water inlet valve is leaking. Here is a picture. It drips like this all the time which then kicks on the pump periodically. (I hope this is the only leak. I won't know for sure until I replace it.)


To my knowledge this valve is the original and from what I have read on the internet I am lucky that it has lasted this long without needing to be changed. Apparently water deposits build up on it and the rubber seal gets hard over time so that between the two it doesn't seal properly.

The other item is that the screen door stop, which is plastic, has cracked on the top and on the bottom.  Here is a picture.


It is plastic and to my knowledge has never been replaced either. Plastic breaking after thirteen years is something to be expected, especially when using the rig a lot such as on this trip.  

There are several significant modifications I will now make to Marge based on our usage this trip. This is pretty routine for us. When we take long trips we find things that can be improved to make her more livable.

I hope you enjoyed this trip blog. In August we will head to Joliet, Illinois for an RV club rally and then in October to Albuquerque, New Mexico for the hot air balloon fiesta, which has been on my bucket list for a number of years. I'll blog both.



No comments:

Post a Comment

September 6, 2024 - October 11, 2024 - Homer Repair and Florida Hurricanes

  My Blog Reflection We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once. Calvin Coolidge September 6, 2024: The transmission s...