Saturday, February 10, 2024

February 2, 2024 - February 10, 2024 - Bagwell; Showerhead; Voltmeter; Cupholders; Drawers; Cornhole; Floormat; Serial#

Friday:

Upon purchase Buster had brown indoor-outdoor carpet on the floor, in the dash compartments, and in the rear bagwell. Luckily the pieces in the dash compartments were not glued in so I just pulled them out and threw them away. I used a hose on the floor carpet and the dirt just flowed out. The carpet is old, worn, and still dirty.  I ordered a new rubber floor mat and will take up the old carpet when I get the new mat. 

The bagwell carpet is a different story. I can't imagine why anyone would glue carpet in there. Here is a picture after I scraped off all the carpet, which was nasty dirty, and moldy as you can see in the picture.


It is not a fun area to work in because it is under the back seat. To take the entire back seat framework off to work in the area is a big job. I passed on that. Now that the carpet itself is off the problem is getting all the old glue off. I looked online and didn't find any "great" products for this task. Carpet glue is a pain to get off of anything. One idea suggested using Acetone. I poured Acetone on it, let it sit, and it didn't touch it. Another suggested "Goo Off Gel". I went to Home Depot and bought some. I let it sit as the directions indicated. It did somewhat soften the glue which is then followed by scraping. This is a picture after about two hours work. This picture really doesn't show the significant amount of hard glue still remaining. 


At the rate the "Goo Off" worked it would take many hours of spraying, waiting, and scraping to get the remaining glue off. It is not worth it. I found a black plastic bagwell liner online that covers the area. It cost $47.00. I decided to buy one rather than spending many hours trying to get the glue off. 

Saturday:

We went to several garage sales. I bought a small set of Forstner bits and a small box of router bits cheap. I will take the router bits home and leave the Forstner bits here, since I already have a larger set at home. For a dollar I bought a new stone for my grinding wheel at home. The one I have is chipped and I had planned on replacing it. 

We thought about bringing our Instapot from home but decided against it. At one garage sale Kelly procured a smaller Instapot, which was like new, for $20.00. I can now make my famous stuffed peppers. LOL  Kelly will make other delightful meals I'm sure. (I didn't figure you needed to see a picture of it.)

Kelly also purchased a painting for $3.00 by a well-known Newfoundland artist. She said the woman's smaller works are selling for $250.00 online. Kelly hopes to put it on eBay and turn a tidy profit. 

Finally, I bought two brand-new Oxygenics showerheads for $2.00 each. They retail for $31.00 a piece. We have been using these showerheads for years at home and in the RVs because they mix air with the water to increase the pressure of the shower stream.  I had already purchased one for the hall shower. It is a different style. It has a handle which attaches to the flexible shower hose. Here is a picture of the old showerhead in the master bath. Just a Walmart cheapie.


On the Oxygenics showerhead you will notice a white lever where the showerhead connects to the pipe. On the RV version the white lever stops the water flow so you can conserve water when showering. On this model the lever just controls the water flow it doesn't shut it off.  This is fine for this application.
 

After chasing around garage sales we finished off the morning with lunch at "Jack's London Grill". Kelly heard from a lady here in the park that they had excellent "Fish and Chips". We ordered that and it was quite good. It's a place I have driven by hundreds of times and never noticed it. I'm sure we will be back.

Sunday:

After church we went to see a movie called "Poor Things". Kelly loved it, I hated it. I thought it would never end. I did enjoy my "M & Ms".

Monday:

We had a good amount of rain in the morning. When it quit I tackled two more small golf cart projects. The first one was cutting a hole in the dash and installing a digital voltage meter I purchased. It is more accurate than the old analog gauge and it can be toggled to show battery voltage or percent of charge in the batteries. I wired both gauges to work. I had already installed the toggle switch on the left, which kills the power to the meters so they don't draw on the batteries 24/7.



The dash looked pretty crappy and was scheduled for a new coat of black paint as the weather allowed.

The second project was removing the broken cupholder and bracket on each side of the dash. One was twisted and one was completely broken off.


The dash looks better without them. 


New cupholders are $20.00 each. I don't know if I will buy two new ones or not. I really don't carry a drink around with me on the golf cart very often.  If I can find some used cupholders on eBay I may go that route.

Tuesday:

An early morning project was addressing the hard to pull out hall bathroom vanity drawers. They would each pull out a little but then get really hard to pull. I waxed the tracks to no avail. Upon examining the drawers and track I noted that the drawers were made a little too wide for the track and opening. The track on the drawer was binding against the cabinet mounted track. A sixteenth of an inch or so taken off each drawer would correct the problem.

The drawers are made out of particle board wrapped in white plastic. I took off the drawer track and cut the plastic paper from under the track. I tried the drawer. This was not enough to free up the drawer. I then used my Dremel tool with a sanding roller in it to take off some of the particle board on each side. A router would have done a much neater job but I don't have one here. The sanded sections are under the track so it really didn't matter if they weren't perfect.  Here is a picture with an arrow pointing to the area where I cut the paper and sanded down the drawer sides. Now all the drawers pull in and out smoothly.


In the early afternoon I was going to wash the back of the house to get the green mold off but it was windy so I decided to stay off the ladder.  Kelly was gone shopping so while the truck was out of the carport I took the opportunity to wash it all down. I went to Walmart to get a scrub brush and a handle, but they had neither. I guess with power washers people don't scrub much anymore. I scrubbed it all down on my hands and knees with a smaller scrub brush we had on hand. 

With all my jobs done for the day I decided to head up to the clubhouse area to play Cornhole. They play every Tuesday and Friday. It was quite windy and cold. I had a long sleeve shirt on plus a jacket. When I got there I was surprised to see how many people play. There were six cornhole sets set up. You drew a number for your teammate. I liked that idea so good players couldn't gang up on those of us who aren't so hot. We played three games. I was paired up with Tod from Quebec. A really nice guy I had never met before. We lost two games and won one. I asked Tod if there was a prize for first. He laughed and said one time the winners got a bag of cookies. LOL


I enjoyed the games and will definitely go back at least once per week. Between games I had a long conversation with Jackie from Newfoundland and met a lady from New Brunswick who has been in the park since 1985! I told her she was an institution, she laughed and agreed.

To end the day I went to the Men's Club Meeting where preparations were made for the Pancake Breakfast this Saturday. Plenty volunteered to help so it will go well.

Wednesday:

The old indoor-outdoor carpeting on the floor looked hideous and held a lot of dirt and I was ready to take it out when the new rubber mat arrived. 


When I pulled up the carpet I found a piece of metal with a couple of holes in it just laying on top of the "GO" pedal arm. Strange.


I turned it over and there were numbers stamped on it. This is the cart's Serial Number tag that was missing from the dash area! I carefully flattened it, cleaned it, and, with the aide of a bright light and magnifying glass, I was able to read the letters and numbers. I finally know that the cart is a Club Car 1985 DS. I recorded the Serial Number on my computer for future reference since the tag is hard to read. I reinstalled the tag in its rightful place under the dash on the passenger side. You can barely read "Club Car" on it. How cool is that!


Upon laying in the new mat some of the aluminum floor with glue on it was showed around the opening for the "GO" pedal. I spray painted it flat black to match the mat. Here is a picture of the floor with the indoor-outdoor carpet removed and the spot sprayed. 


The mat fit perfectly and came with four clips to hold the mat in place at the top. The clips didn't work as the instructions envisioned so I screwed them to the aluminum plate. You can see a couple of them in the picture below. They work perfectly. I'm really happy with the mat and how it fits.


It was a nice day so the next project was to wash the mold off the back of the house. This part of house gets virtually no sun so the trim and siding had some black and green mold on it in various areas. Additionally, the entire wall was dirty. The siding mold remover I purchased worked great as did the extendable brush handle. With this handle I didn't even have to get on the ladder. The project took about two hours and looks 100% better.

Thursday:

The bagwell liner arrived so I got to work putting it in. Unfortunately the back seat support brackets were in the way. I had to unbolt them to be able to slide the plastic cover in place. It looked great but at a distance some of the dirty old glue was still showing above the liner. I solved this by taping the area off and spray painting it flat black to match the liner. It looks great. Here is a picture.


Friday:

We went to a couple of estates sales which turned out to be busts. I bought three small tools for $2.00. Kelly bought a $5.00 bowl.

It was another nice day so I came home and got to work on painting the golf cart dash area. Here is a picture after it was all painted. It isn't perfect but its a 1985 cart.



Saturday:

I worked at the Pancake Breakfast put on by the "Men's Club" here at the park. There was a good turnout so we stayed busy which made the time go by faster. 

After that I installed in the pantry a wooden organizer for rolls of Saran Wrap, aluminum foil, etc. I made out of a wooden cigar box. It's not fancy but it keeps the rolls together and frees up some shelf space.


Later in the day the vinyl lettering was delivered for the front of Buster. It was easy to install. 

Here is a final picture of Buster, no more projects at this time. He has kept me busy. The old boy looks quite different from when we got him last year, especially the front end.

Before repair:


After repair:
 

Tomorrow is the Super Bowl and after church I plan on doing nothing other than watching the game. GO CHIEFS! I'm also looking forward to Taylor Swift's appearance pissing off the "Broflakes" LOL





















No comments:

Post a Comment

September 6, 2024 - October 11, 2024 - Homer Repair and Florida Hurricanes

  My Blog Reflection We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once. Calvin Coolidge September 6, 2024: The transmission s...