Friday, October 27, 2023

October 23 - 27, 2023 - Backup Camera and Monitor - New Front Windows on the House

HOMER'S BACKUP CAMERA:

On the 23rd RV Cams called and said that both the monitor and backup camera I sent them checked out fine.  I told them I had power at the harness so he said he would check it some more and call me back. On the second call he said it had to be the cable from front to back, or the wiring harness. I decided he should just send both units back. Thursday afternoon I received the monitor and camera back from RV Cams. Friday morning I reinstalled the camera and the monitor and still had nothing

I put this wiring harness in about ten years ago when we first got Homer. The wiring harness picks up power under the dash, runs through the passenger side of the dash, and down behind the kick panel on the passenger side of the cab. I took the camera back out of its bracket on the back of Homer and plugged it directly into the wiring harness. - still nothing. Here is a picture of that area. I plugged it into "Camera 2", but nothing there either.

By taking the kick panel and door step panel out and plugging the camera directly into the harness I eliminated one possible problem - the cable which runs from the monitor in the front to the camera in the back. I had mice eat on it two times in past years. 

After not getting any results, I called RV Cams and ordered a new wiring harness for $22.00. Surely that will solve this problem! To be continued. . . . . . 

NEW FRONT WINDOWS:

In July we ordered all new front windows for the house. The original front windows were shot. Some were rotting out, some had cracked glass, some lost the seal between the two panes of glass, and some slid out of their frames so that they were not even watertight. 

The new windows were made to order and then had to be scheduled for installation. On Wednesday I got phone call that two installers would be at the house at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, the 26th. It would take them two days to remove the old windows and install the new ones. They arrived on time with a trailer full of windows. (There are fifteen windows just on the front of the house.) 

Rain was predicted all week for Thursday and Friday. Fortunately, that forecast changed and now the rain to come Saturday. With great weather the installers were able to get all the old windows out and the new ones roughed in on Thursday. They spent Friday trimming everything out inside and outside, caulking, and cleaning up. A painter will be out soon to paint the half-moon trim pieces on the inside. For some reason these pieces do not come pre-painted from the factory.  The windows look great. Here is a picture. They will certainly outlast me.

Now that the window project is complete, we can begin in earnest to decide on what we want to take to Florida next month. We already have set aside a lot of larger items so we will need to take the truck. The truck bed will be heaping full and the back seat as well. I have a tarp and I borrowed a cargo net from John to tie it all down. This will be our first trip to Florida in the last ten years without the fifth wheel. A different experience. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

September 6, 2024 - October 11, 2024 - Homer Repair and Florida Hurricanes

  My Blog Reflection We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once. Calvin Coolidge September 6, 2024: The transmission s...