Friday, October 9, 2020

October 9, 2020 - Marge Home

Wednesday we put Homer in the storage unit for the winter and brought Marge home.  Here is a picture of her ready to get loaded up for the winter in Florida.


Marge does not have hydraulic levelers like the newer rigs. We use 2 x 10 wood leveling blocks. I decided this morning I would make stop blocks that could be added to the leveling blocks to keep from backing up too far and going off the blocks when leveling at a site. This happens a lot when double blocks are used because you have to give the truck a lot of gas to push the trailer up on the blocks. While I was at it I decided to give the edges of the leveling blocks a new coat of paint. I have been painting my leveling blocks for many years because, not knowing any better, my sister one time threw my leveling blocks into the fire while we are camping. By painting the blocks it is less likely that will happen again. It also makes it easier to find them in the dark. Here are a couple of pictures before I stored them today.



The 4 x 4 stops have rebar pins driven into them that insert into holes I drilled in the all the leveling blocks. 

I need to check the dates on the tires. I believe they are five years old which means they need to be replaced even though they look like new. Dry rot from the inside and out is the enemy of RV owners.

My next Marge project:  

Marge has a sleeper bed for guests. It is worse than awful to sleep on. A couple of years back I added 5/8 inch plywood to all the folding sections in an attempt to make it more comfortable. It didn't work. Last year I made a 2 x 4 track to lay under the low end to make it more level. It didn't help either. We decided we are going to just use a blowup mattress for guests. Of course I can't find it right now but I know it is around somewhere. I am not only going to take the wood off the bed springs but I am going to also take the entire bed mechanism out and replace it with a hinged box to support the seat cushions. An additional benefit is that we will then be able to store stuff under the couch. This project will also elimninate some weight as well. 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment

September 6, 2024 - October 11, 2024 - Homer Repair and Florida Hurricanes

  My Blog Reflection We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once. Calvin Coolidge September 6, 2024: The transmission s...