Saturday, August 31, 2019

August 31st - Marge is Home and a Meltdown Discovered

Yesterday we drove to Union, Missouri and retrieved Marge from the RV repair shop. Hopefully after paying $1,965.15 the slides are fixed for the rest of my life. It was not a simple adjustment. We were told that their diagnosis was that there was not strong enough metal on the frame. As the two large slides moved in and out the beams flexed causing the slides to rub and wear against the top of the RV. Things had to be taken apart to access the area and reinforcing metal had to be welded on. This was a labor intensive job. Good to have her home.

Today I was plugging Marge into the electric at the house so I could vacuum and I pulled out the 30 amp cord and the 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone adapter I use for this. I was shocked to see that the female end of the 30 amp cord looked like this. It was badly melted which is obviously very bad.

I then looked at the plug on the 50 to 30 amp adapter that plugged into it and it looked like this. 


The yellow rubber was melted just a little on each flat prong. The two prongs are still tight but were burnt brown and black all over.

On our way back through the States from Newfoundland it was hot and at several campgrounds the voltage was very low since everyone was using their air-conditioning. Because of the low voltage we were opted not to use the AC at all for long periods on several days but we did turn it on at night when the load was lighter and the voltage went up. Apparently, even being cautious, the low voltage caused the rig to pull too many amps causing the plugs to melt. When plugs melt it is usually at connections that are loose or overloaded. These plugs were not loose. In fact the female 30 amp plug that melted so badly was a newer replacement. I have to assume that either the replacement plug was defective or the low voltage and high amp draw when we were able to use the AC caused the meltdown. Either one is not good.

I ordered a new female plug for the 30 amp cord and will install it upon arrival. I then cleaned up the male end of the 50 amp adapter with a brush in my Dremel tool and sprayed it with a contact cleaner and protector. It now looks like this.


Since the prongs are tight it is still usable. If they were at all loose I would throw it away and get a new one or put a new end on it.  From now on I'm going to have to be mindful of the need to check connections when voltage is low. If they get warm at all they need to be disconnected.

Another upgrade on Marge this weekend was installing a fuel filter on the generator. Surprisingly it has never had one. I had a piece of gas line and one hose clamp so all I had to buy was one more hose clap to make the installation.  Here is a picture of the orange filter in place. I will carry a spare.


Yesterday I ran the generator for a significant period of time and there was no oil leak. I can only assume that the last oil leak was due to my failing to properly tighten the fill cap. Good news.

We want the generator in good working condition for the trip to Albuquerque the end of this month for the Balloon Fiesta. We will be boondocking (no water or electric hookups.) We can run the generator to make coffee, for Kelly to curl her hair, and charge the batteries as needed.

For my birthday and Father's Day my daughter, Annie, gave me a gift certificate to get Marge washed. I made an appointment today and they will be here to wash it on Sunday September 15th. It needs it after the trip to Newfoundland and back and another week in the shop with dirty hand prints all over it on one side.











No comments:

Post a Comment

September 6, 2024 - October 11, 2024 - Homer Repair and Florida Hurricanes

  My Blog Reflection We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once. Calvin Coolidge September 6, 2024: The transmission s...